There is about one week let to go till the deadline for the La Bricole painting competition but I managed to get the 2nd battalion of the 4ème Régiment d’Artillerie de la marine (the third to be painted) done. So now all three battalions and therefore the whole regiment are finished. I have to say, that I am quiet happy I chose this unit for th competition. Since they wore dark blue coats over dark blue uniforms, they were not the most diverse unit to paint and it became a chore somewhere along the way. I had been sure, that this would be the case and pledging to paint all three battalions as part of a competition was my trick to keep me going. And it worked! Plus I am really happy with the result no matter how they do in the competition.
Without much further ado… here they are:
To keep with the maritime theme for those battalions not issued with an eagle, I carved a fish from a piece of plastic for the finial here. I had planned it to look like the fish used to indicate rounds raced in the ancient Circus Maximus in Rome, but it came out rather longish and looks more like a trout. Unfortunately, I took this photo at an agle where you see it from the front, but it shows on some of the unit shots.
While these two skirmishers were painted when I did the first battalion, they belong to the second (the only one large enough to deploy skirmishers under the R2E rules) so here they are again.
And last… the whole regiment deployed one battalion behind the other.
In total these are 66 minis. 64 of them are Victrix from the old Guard and Infantry boxed sets with shakos in place of the bearskin caps. Two minis are from Perry.
One last comment one these… Victrix minis have a reputation of bayonets breaking. I have not had a single broken bayonet with any of the 64 Victrix minis here and I did not treat them any “nicer” then I would metal minis. I even dared to put a shako on top the plastic sword of the officer for the first battalion and it did not break off. So if anything I can attest to them being robust.
The Angry Lurker
March 27, 2012 at 14:54
They look brilliant to me and I hope they do well for you!
March 27, 2012 at 18:59
Burkhard, these are fantastic. The painting, the rather obsure unit you chose, and the conversion work are all equally impressive. Best, Dean
March 27, 2012 at 21:57
Great stuff Burkhard! They look superb, bags of character, and, of course; top quality mud!
March 27, 2012 at 23:00
Very nice Burkhard, well done.
March 27, 2012 at 23:16
One small point re the bayonets; I’m painting the very same Victrix Grenadier torsos, and I’ve lost a fair few in the process (at least 8 or 9, but across 180 minis). I think there is a question of how careful one is (clearly not terribly in my case!), but I also suspect that different plastics have been used- some of the earlier figures I bought (French Line) were exceptionally brittle, late ones not so much.
OTOH I’ve become pretty adept at sticking them back on!
March 28, 2012 at 11:09
Maybe I just got lucky! Although i have to admit, that I have had two snapped bayonets with the first French infantry box I bought. If that is a measure… they have gotten better. 😉
March 28, 2012 at 01:57
Fantastic effort, Burkhard. I love your ideas for maritime themed finials, too!
Seeing as quite a few of the entries for the competition have fallen by the wayside, you’ve certainly made up for them with your impressive output! 🙂
March 28, 2012 at 02:50
Well done! They look superb all ranked-up together. (I also like the muddy trousers and greatcoat tails)
March 28, 2012 at 11:08
Thank you all guys!
Something just dawned on me… when I began with the first battalion it was so bleeping cold I could not even varnish them outdoors. Now it is warm enough that I painted the last few steps on the balcony. Lovely how the weather can change in a few weeks!
April 23, 2012 at 23:34
Wow, these are fantastic!