After yesterday’s post, I thought I should do a quick how to on the bulrush.
First up I took some wire and cut it to desired length. I used 1mm floral wire. This makes the stems look thicker than they do IRL, but I wanted something robust for a gaming piece. If your bulrush will not be in danger of being touched too often you can also use thinner wire.
Up next place a drop of super glue around the top end of the wire (leaving about 2mm clear to the top) and dip them in flour. Brush the excess off and repeated the process after a minute or two. These will later depict the head of the bulrush. The flour will give everything a nice fine texture.
Next take a piece of paper (60 grams per m² which is thinner than the normal printer paper) and cut the leaves into it. Always leave a solid strip at the bottom that connects the leaves. In the end it should give you a sawblade pattern.
Now put a drop of superglue at the bottom of the wire and take a strip of four to five leaves. Push one end into the superglue and let it dry. When dry warp the rest of the strip around the wire, secure the end with another drop of superglue and spread the leaves out.
Now you only need to paint everything. I went for Vallejo Black Green drybrushed with Medium Olive Green for the stem and leaves. The head is just a dark brown drybrushed a little lighter.
Now I just drilled a few of appropriate diameter holes into the water and glued the bulrush into it and everything was done. Do not use superglue for this step since the sweat from your finger might turn it (and your water) foggy. Just use white glue, since it will dry clear anyway. And that is it.