I know it has been unusually quiet these past few days. There have been lots of personal things to take care of and I am still having problems getting into the spirit to continue (and thus finish) my WWII British Infantry. So last week I worked some more on my terrain. Up first were more dirt road pieces. Not sure if I have mentioned it, but I have been growing ever more unhappy with them. Mainly because (i) I have a lack of dedicated junction pieces, (ii) many of the pieces are rather short which makes for uneven long straits on the table and (iii) some of the older pieces have rather rough edges.
So I took out the fiberboard, cut it all to shape with a saber saw, textured paint, regular paint, highlight and some static grass in the middle and I was done. I actually wanted to apply static grass to the edges of all pieces (old and new), but found that my stocks of the colour I use for terrain (and WWII minis) is almost depleted (used a lot on those river boards), so that will have to wait until I have filled up my stocks. Not too many pictures of those here, since i feel they are ultimately boring, but you can see them on the photos of the hedges.
A while ago I mentioned that I wanted to do a low version of Bocage and while I said “soon” almost two years ago, I finally got around to doing so. But I am not really calling them Bocage. I rather want to be able to use them as an unkept hedge as well, so they are not completely Bocagy. Here the approach was quite simple as well. I had cut some smaller fiberboard strip when doing the roads. Onto these I glued cut-off pieces of pink foam (left from the river board project) to give the hedges a base. Structured paint all over it so I could go wild with spray primers and glues (which proved important later on), a coat of black spray primer and some brown wash. I applied static grass to the edges to make them blend in on the table and then came the clump foliage. For the first piece I painted it with white glue and just dipped it into the foliage. I found this to be a bad idea. It looked great, but the foliage had so much tension, that it kept loosening and had to be pushed back all the time while things dried. I had heard that super glue was great for clump foliage, but I did not want to got though bottles of that, so I tried hot glue, which worked like a charm. At this point the structured paint paid off, since it protected the pink foam from the heat rather nicely! So anyway 1 ½ days and roughly a dozen hot glue cartridges later this is what I got:
I also added to gate pieces. The gates were scratchbuilld from matches, coffee stirrers, miniature scantling, the working hinges are from wire and plasticard. I am very much aware that I will need more pieces including some that are shorter, contain a tree or have rounded corners. But for now this was more of a test piece and I was not too sure how far my three bags of foliage would last. Plus I have almost run out of hot glue now. But since I only used up ⅓ of the foliage, there will be much more to go for in coming months.