So after the proliferation of SciFi posts recently, I thought it was time for something historical once more. So here are some Normandy buildings.
For this years Crisis, I am planning to host a WWII game set in Normandy. I had built some buildings from foamcore a couple of years ago but too few to use in a big game. I had looked around at some of the MDF offerings out there (I have grown ever more disenchanted by foamcore), but always found them to look too British for continental Europe and especially Normandy. So my pan had been to build some from foamcore this summer or fall. But when we were in Scotland in May, I stumbled over Timeline Miniatures. Back then they did not have a proper webstore and their offerings were pretty limited, but I liked their Normandy buildings. They actually looked like Normandy to me. Their offering was priced more than reasonably, so I took the leap and ordered three farmhouses (two with two chimneys, one with one chimney) and ruined version each and small shed / outbuilding.
When they arrived, I was quiet happy with what I got. The parts did fit very well and snug and assembled fast. The details might be a bit basic with only a few bullet holes and some brickwork shining through the plaster in a few places, but then again, I wanted something where I could express myself and for the price this was more than fair. Especially since the doors and roof came with tons of nice details! So bottom line is… The quality for money is great!
Regarding the models themselves. I gave them a coat of homegrown structured paint and primed everything light grey. The bricks and bullet holes were airbrushed in appropriate color (as were the doors, shutters and woodwork, although I only fitted them when the rest was done). Over this I applied a coat of Army Painter Soft Tone and then drybrushed with a light sand colour. The roofs were airbrushed black and then drybrushed in two consecutively lighter tones of slate grey. Selected parts of both the roofs and walls, as well as the lower edge of the buildings, were painted in greens to simulate moss. Inside the ruins I created some slight rises from green foam and covered it all up with the sand I use for rubble. Painted that grey, drybrushed in a lighter grey and tan as well as some brick-red. The rest of the bases got static grass and everything was done. While the roofs are removable, I kept the insides of the houses simple, with just white walls and brown floors.
Hope you like them.