As I said in yesterday’s post… Virtually all the vehicles for the Battle of Berlin game were done ages ago. But one I defiantly wanted was a Borgward Wanze. The Wanze was a typical late war stop gap solution of the Third Reich. The vehicle itself is based on the Borgward B IV Ladungsträger (SdKfz. 301).
Germany had some stocks of these vehicles left. It was the heaviest of the Ladungsträger in use, but it had some drawbacks. The biggest was that the driver had to drive it close to the target and get of. From that point on it was radio controlled to the target. Due to its larger size, it provided a better target than lets say the Goliath. In 1942/43 it’s armour no longer was sufficient to protect it. The vehicle had already proven to be useless in its intended role as an ammo carrier and mine clearer, so they were pulled out of service.
When the Allies got ever closer to Germany, a tank was needed that was small and agile (to operate in the ruins of German cities), yet pack a lot of punch vs. enemy tanks. So the drivers compartment and gunners position got some extra armour and it was fitted with 6 Panzerschreck 88mm AT rocket launchers that were linked to fire a single volley. It would then have to withdraw quickly to reload. Hardly any reports exist on its effectiveness, but I felt it was a must have vehicle.
The model itself is from Warlord Games. It is actually a very nice kit (only the bolts on the rear deck seem somewhat sloppy) with virtually perfect casting and nice detail. The only real problem I had with the kit is the arrangement of the drivers and gunners position. On the model the gunner is to the right and the driver left. On all photos I found online, the arrangement was the other way round, but I can live with that.
For the paintjob I wanted a look that represented the history of the vehicle. So the body was done in a Sandgelb with green camo like one would find in 1942/43 in Russia. The new plates were done in a anti-rust paint colour. I also added some welders markings to the plates. I guess any welder worth his money would rather cut on the markings than besides them (= they would disappear while cutting), but I wanted them anyway. Weathering wise I just went with some panel highlighting with my airbrush and heavy use of filters. After some tests with filters on my Sci-Fi vehicles this winter, I felt comfortable enough to use them in my historical models so this was the first go.