While last years terrain building efforts went quite well, I am still not where I want to be. So this year will see more terrain building. This will include but historic terrain (mostly terrain for both WWII and ultra modern) and SciFi terrain. I am especially lacking in the later department and with us playing a lot of Warzone and the like, more SciFi terrain will be needed. Last month I did a few pieces and here they are.
Up first is a workers hut / small site office. I got the building together with my monorail cargo terminal from Mad Mecha Guy last year. It is a very simple building with three rooms (not shown) inside. Judging from the size, layout and windows I would guess that one is the office, while the other two are the toilet and a vestibule for the toilet. As a add-on to the terminal it is OK. It serves as a decent sized low-level LOS blocker, you can have minis on the roof if you want and it offers enough room for a squad or two. And with the few windows it only allows a few minis to fire out of it, so it does not become a “must use” strong point either.I went for a pretty simple paint job here. Most of these construction site / cargo terminal office buildings that I have seen in real life look a bit shabby. Mostly tan, yellow, greenish or blue, partly faded, partly dirty. And that is the look I wanted to achieve here as well. So I airbrushed the insides off white and the side in a German camo green (which already looks like a yellowish paint that is well beyond its prime). The floor was airbrushed in a concrete colour. Over that I airbrush a sepia wash to give it a dirty look. Unfortunately this also kind of blended the concrete into the walls. Window frames and doors done in grey, hinges in metal and it was done. All in all less than 10 minutes and for the amount of time spend, it looks fine. Up next is a pedestrian bridge from Maki Games. The terrain is from their Kickstarter, so it seems most parts are not available for general sale yet (which is kind of strange, since this was delivered a little over a year ago). Anyway it is their Pedestrian bridge set (with some different floors) and the addition of some SciFi corridor walls. Essentially I wanted a bridge that provided some cover to the troops at the top. I guess this could already have been achieved by the railings used for the low platforms, but this way it looks a bit more imposing. Some parts were glued together, but the pylons that support the mains bridge and the stairs are separate. While the main reason was ease of storage (this actually takes less than a shoebox to store) it has the added benefit the central pylon can be moved left or right, or being left off all together. This is great if I want to place it over a road where the pylon would be in the way or if I want to have it span both a road and monorail, where I need an odd spacing. Over all the paint job is quite simple again. German Panzergrau base coat, with two progressively lighter airbrush coats of grey and a spray of black wash. Again very fast and simple, but it works. I am still contemplating dry-brushing the stairs and handrail in a gun-metal tone to depict worn paint, but I am not yet certain about that. I guess I will have to see how it fits in when I have more SciFi building for the table finished. And last comes the highlight (at lest in my opinion) for this post. Some containers from Antenocities Workshop “Designed for Infinity” line. Before any asks… no there are not from my Kickstarter pledge, which should arrive some time this month, but I bought these from one of their German distributors. I had read that they had produced too many pristine containers for the Kickstarter, so that surplus had gone into general retail, while stocks lasted. Since my pledge was all pristine (which means the MDF is covered with a masking tape like material during cutting to prevent the fumes from the lasers blackening the paint), it seemed like a good choice to try to get some more containers this way. All kits are delivered with this masking material still on and you have to remove it yourself. Antenocities actually advise not to use this as a mask for airbrushing, but I thought I should give it a try anyway. I removed the mask over the logos, the writing on the cargo clamps and the ladder-like slots on the bottom of the containers (which do show when the containers are clamped together and placed upright). What can I say… applied a few light coats with the airbrush. No paint soaked under the mask and they were easy to remove afterwards. It was a great way to add extra character to the containers fast and easy. The hinges, locks and blots on the containers were painted by hand later on. In case of the hinges and locks I simply wanted to prevent any overspray with the logos and in case of the bolts, it would just have been too much effort. As you can see, I think they are quite versatile. You can use them either as single containers (on the ground or loaded onto a truck or train), stacked in a number of ways or clamped together (either lying prone or upright). Also mixing containers of different colour adds additional variety. I have one more set of three containers coming up with my Kickstarter pledge and that should give me a really nice selection there.