Something I always wanted to do was jungle terrain. It is very versatile, since it can be used for so many settings. WW Il in the Pacifik, Vietnam, Ultra Modern in Africa or Asia and SciFi. For some time I had bought various plastic fish tank plants and last summer came the time to add them all together. Everything was mounted on HDF boards. I sanded the edges of the boards to make them blend in better, painted them with structured paint and painted them in browns and greens. The plants were glued to the boards using hot glue. I did them in various shapes and sizes to make the terrain as flexible as possible.
The majority were done with green plants, to make them useable for historic games. In addition to aquarium plants there is also some model bamboo, a few palm trees and two Buddas. I wanted to do a small temple with a Budda statue and ended up with two spare Buddas. But more on said temple later on.
As I wanted to use this jungle for SciFi as well, I also bought some more colourful plants. I went for psychedelic colours, since I wanted a look like in James Cameron’s Avatar. But when it was all done, I had to find, that the green plants alone were enough to fill a table. So these were sold off a couple of weeks ago.
Up last is the temple. I wanted a nice centrepiece for the table. My inspiration came from the temple scene in Full Metal Jacket. This one is just a simple one “room” walled in compound. The walls were done from high density foam. The roof tiles are a clerical box that I cut up and painted. As I said above, I wanted a Budda statue. Which proofed harder to find in an appropriate scale or at an appropriate price than I thought. After a couple of months I found a set of three on eBay. The seller had wanted to experiment with mould making and plaster casting and the three Buddas were the result. I also added some temple lions from Ainsty Castings. Yes, I am well aware, that these should not be at the gate to a Buddist temple, but I simply wanted them for the looks.
Btw, if anyone wonders where that mat is from, I did that last summer. It is a piece of painters masking fleece that was painted using a wet blending technique. I wanted to try this method out for a larger desert mat I will do some time later and this 4′ x 4′ mat for Infinity was the result.