RSS

Tag Archives: horse artillery

Preussische Berittene Artilleriebatterie Nr. 2

So now I am finished catching up with my entries to the Analogue Hobbies Panting Challenge (or at least I will be after this post). Before anyone asks… I ended up nowhere near the top places at 18th out of 47. Never expected any better since the points are based on numbers painted and lets face it… painting Napoleonics takes ages. But my main aim (in addition to having fun) had been to get things done and use it as a motivator to do just that. And frankly I think I did a good job at that in my humble opinion. My first aim had been 500 points which would have translated into 100 28mm minis.Back then I thought “if I can achieve that number, I will be straight on course for my Völkerschlacht project”. But I still felt that it would be a though thing to do. Where did I end up? 818 points. Now if I deduce to extra points I received for a fine-looking command stand and the entry fee Samurai, this still translates into 152 minis and four guns. So I can be happy.

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2 (front view)

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2 (front view)
[Calpe]

Now the last entry was this and I only managed to finish it in the nick of time. These models are to represent the Prussian Berittene Batterie Nr. 2 (Horse Artillery Battery No. 2) for my Völkerschlacht project. Not much to tell about these, since they were quiet a straight forward job. It is amazing how little I manage to get done these days. The guns were painted one weekend and the crews the following one. This was my best shot at getting the final two points to meet my target together (and to actually surpass it) with a decent entry.

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2 (front view)

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2 (front view)
[Calpe]

The worst thing was getting them based. Now I glue the minis to their base using two-part epoxy for extra strength. So that first step takes about a day to dry. The next step is applying filler to the bases to reduce the pitcher mound look from the integral bases. And there goes another 12 hours drying time. The rest of the basing is quiet straightforward with sand, tuffs and static grass, but it meant that I was constantly afraid of not being able to finish them in time.

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, Howitzer

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, Howitzer

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, 3rd 6pdr

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, 3rd 6pdr
[Calpe Miniatures]

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, 2nd 6pdr

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, 2nd 6pdr
[Calpe Miniatures]

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, 1st 6pdr

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2, 1st 6pdr
[Calpe Miniatures]

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2

Berittene Batterie Nr. 2
[Calpe Miniatures]

Oh and there is one more thing to give you. Faithful readers of this blog will remember the Prussian Artillery officers I presented earlier this week. Now after some feedback from a member of a German forum it turned out I forgot to paint the collars of their Überröcke and that I should not have been at liberty to paint the bands on their caps in state colours at all. The most annoying thing is… I knew this two years ago as can be seen on the very first post on this blog (looking at which I actually need to repaint his sash… good thing he is still awaiting a base that would suit him after two years). So I have no idea why I forgot the lessons learned just now. Anyway… I sat down and repainted the collars and hats and would like to show you the results as well:

Prussian artillery officers (front view)

Prussian artillery officers (front view)

Prussian artillery officers (side view)

Prussian artillery officers (side view)

Advertisements
 
14 Comments

Posted by on March 24, 2013 in Calpe, Nap.: Prussian, Napoleonic

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,