So as announced yesterday… here is the latest addition to my Prussian forces for Möckern, the first Battalion of the Brandenburgisches Infanterieregiment.
The Regiment has quiet an interesting history. It was founded on the 7th of June 1808. What is amazing about them is that they had to let go of two of their Battalions during their history, with those Battalions becoming part of the Leibgrenadiere (their Fusilier Battalion in June 1813 [when then also received their numbering as Infanterieregiement 8] and the Grenadiers Battalion in October 1814), which has to say something about their quality. And they saw action at virtually ever major battle of the Befreiungskriege period. In 1813 alone at Groß Görschen, Lindenau, Colditz., Königswartha, Bautzen, Hörselberg, Löwenberg, an der Katzbach, Bunzlau, Hochkirch, Bischoffswerda, Wartenburg, Möckern, Gohlis, Freiburg a. d. U. and Hörselberg bei Eisenach. After numerous battles in France, they ended their march in Paris. When called to fight once more in 1815 they did so at Ligny, Wavre, St. Germain and Chatillon. At Möckern they were commanded by an officer named von Zeppelin, a name which would make an impression on history later on for the airships the family invented.
Unfortunately there is no Knötel drawing for them, so you will have to make do with my minis here. As usual they are from Calpe and based for Republic to Empire.
All the minis are depicted in trail arms position, the standard position for Prussian troops moving into contact with the enemy. While most armies went for positions where the musket is across the chest, the Prussians wanted the soldiers to control their short swords with one hand to make sure it did not tangle up between their legs and made them stumble.
At von Peter request they received tassels to their flag. Still not sure what colour they should be, so I went for black and white the Prussian National colours.
This is the first unit where I actually mixed a Freiwilliger Jäger in with the rest of the troops. I had initially planned not to do that, but had to find out I had ordered one mini short of needs and was in no mood to order one single mini to make up that error!
Now this is my first casualty marker I actually painted. In R2E you only start removing stands once a unit has received 50+% casualties, under the reasoning that until this point units would spread out upon receiving casualties to retain their frontage. Obviously you need a way to keep track of that, so I mounted the mini on an octagonal base, numbered one through eight.
As those apt at mathematics will recognize has 26 minis and eight does not cover everything up to 50% casualties. Now my idea is to place the marker either at the left edge of the unit if they are in a Retreat moral state or on the right if in Rout state. If the number of casualties becomes larger than eight, the marker will simply be moved one base closer to the centre and rolled back to the beginning. So if the marker is placed behind the second base and shows a three, the unit has sustained eleven casualties (eight for the first base it was or would have been placed behind, plus the three shown on the marker). Hope this works out as planned!